ANOTHER MAJOR MALWARE ALERT TARGETING LOCAL BUSINESS
FAKE INVOICE EMAIL CONTAINS DAMAGING PAYLOAD
There’s malware going around right now that could have disastrous effects on your business. Reports are coming in about people receiving a fake invoice email containing a ZIP attachment – and not surprisingly, what it contains could be extremely damaging to your entire system. Not only that, but it spreads quickly and uses your contacts to move even further. So what can you keep an eye out for to keep yourself protected?
- The email has been going around with the subject ‘Electronic’ – it contains a ZIP attachment with an EXE file that has the icon of an Adobe PDF.
- Running the EXE is as simple as double-clicking it – and then your system is infected.
- The truly scary part is what comes next. Not only will clicking on the contents of the email infect your computer, but it gains access to your data and then the email starts to spread with you as the source.
- The malware gathers everyone from your email program (which likely includes your family, friends and business associates) and sends them the same email. At that rate, the bug will be spreading extremely quickly.
- Currently most anti-virus engines are not detecting the bug, meaning you need to ensure that your staff is educated about proper online safety that everyone in your office is extremely careful when working online and opening emails.
- Leaks have been reported through many of the major antispam services and only email services.
- If you believe you’ve been hit or accidentally opened an infected email, get in touch with your IT support immediately and we’ll take it from there
- Also – disconnect your computer from the internet to stop the spread of the bug.
As your managed IT services company, we take every step to protect your network and your business. Sometimes threats like this can squeak through the best defences. Be on the look out for any suspicious activity and report it immediately to us by calling (07) 34950064 or email us at [email protected].